Hey guys, I’ve put together an easy and delicious Vegan Pulled Pork recipe that everyone, even the meat eaters, will enjoy! The main star in this dish is Jackfruit. Jackfruit has a special string like texture that makes the vegan pulled pork look and taste like the real thing.
When shopping for Jackfruit, be sure to look for canned young Jackfruit in brine and not the ripe yellow Jackfruit in syrup. The Jackfruit in syrup is sweeter than the young Jackfruit and will not give you the same texture and taste as the young Jackfruit.
We start the dish by sautéing some onions and garlic. I feel like every delicious dish starts with onions and garlic, right?! It’s like that perfect duo for any good dish. Sauté those bad boys until they’re golden.
To prep the Jackfruit, make sure to wash it and drain it well. The Jackfruit is placed in brine in the can, so it’s a bit salty, we’ll want to wash that off before we start cooking it. Give the Jackfruit a rough chop longways to help with the cooking process. Once the onion and garlic are sautéed to a nice and golden appearance, place the Jackfruit in along with the veggie broth.
While the Jackfruit is doing it’s thang, now would be a great time to get your Coleslaw together. I like to make things easier on myself by purchasing the precut Coleslaw garden mix bags at the grocery store, but if you don’t have that option, make sure to slice your cabbage and carrots longways for nice long pieces.
For the dressing, I like putting the ingredients into a container that will be easy to pour, like a measuring Pyrex. Add all the wet ingredients together, add sweetener to taste, pour over the shredded veggies, and mix together.
Once your Jackfruit is soft and all the veggie broth has evaporated, take a potato masher or fork and shred the Jackfruit to mimic pulled pork.
Related article: Vegan Pecan Pie
Place the shredded Jackfruit onto a lined baking sheet. Try to make sure that you spread the Jackfruit so it will evenly dry in the oven.
Squirt the BBQ sauce over the Jackfruit and mix. I found that some BBQ sauces are a bit tangy, so if you find yourself in that predicament, just add a bit of sweetener of choice to help reduce the tangy taste.
Bake the mixture in the the oven for about 10-15 minutes, or until the Jackfruit is dry.
You’ll know that it’s ready when the tops have a real deep orange look, some parts may even look burnt, don’t work if this happens because this will give it more texture!
Related article: Vegan Lentil Tacos
Toast some burger buns or some everything bagels, (our favorite) and assemble the sandwich starting with the Jackfruit mixture then top it off with the coleslaw mixture.
The combination of savory Jackfruit with the cool taste of the coleslaw is simply amazing! Pair it up with some sweet baked beans and chips, and you’ll have yourself a happy tummy! I hope you enjoy this delicious Vegan Pulled Pork recipe.
Tried this recipe? Let us know how you liked it!
Comment down below and join the conversation!
Are you on Instagram?
Don’t forget to tag me if you give this recipe a try!
Follow me @lovealwayscatherine
Vegan Pulled Pork (Jackfruit)
Pulled Pork (Jackfruit)
- 2 Cans Young Jackfruit Make sure it is not the yellow sweet Jackfruit. This Jackfruit will be labeled "young" and will be in brine.
- 1 Medium Onion
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable Broth
- 1 Tsp Liquid Smoke
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1-2 Tbsp BBQ Sauce If you find your sauce too tangy, add some agave or perferred sweetener
- 1 Cup Shredded Cabbage
- 1 Cup Shredded Purple Cabbage
- 1 Cup Shredded Carrots
- 1 Cup Vegan Mayo
- 1 Tbsp Grated Onion If you don't like big pieces of onion, grating it will allow you to have the onion taste without the surprise chunks
- 2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tsp Celery Seed
- 1 Tbsp Agave Or sweetener of choice. Add more to taste
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Pepper
Pulled Pork (Jackfruit_
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
- Sautee onion and garlic until golden
- Add Jackfruit and Veggie broth. Simmer for 5-6 minutes until jackfuit is soft and broth has evaporated
- Stir in the Liquid Smoke and Worcestershire Sauce and leave on heat for 1-2 minutes
- Place Jackfruit mixture on a lined baking sheet, add BBQ Sauce, and mix together
- Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes, until Jackfruit is dry
- While you wait for the Jackfruit to dry in the oven, make the Coleslaw
- Once the Jackfruit and Coleslaw are done, toast some burger buns or everything bagels and assemble the Jackfruit and Coleslaw inside.
- Serve with sweet baked beans and chips
- Place Cabbage and Carrot in a large bowl
- Mix the remaining ingredients in a small bowl and pour over Cabbage and Carrot
- Mix and place in Jackfruit sandwich
Hayley nakasone says
Wow, I’m gonna try this. 😉