This delicious Saffron Bread is sweet, soft and eggless- perfect to bake for St. Lucia day.
What’s Saffron Bread?
Saffron bread is a sweet bread made with it’s main ingredient, Saffron! It has a distinctive taste and a beautiful color that creates a nice yellow tint to the bread.
All Purpose Flour
Tips For Baking
- When baking, using a scale is much more effective than using measuring spoons and cups.
- If your butter is not room temperature, cut the butter into small pieces for it to warm up to room temp faster.
- Letting your dough rise is important for nice soft bread– don’t skip the second rise!
- If you have a stand mixer, save your energy and let the machine do the kneading for you.
- Using a silicone mat for your baking sheet works well to make sure your bakes don’t stick to the pan.
- If you use parchment paper, spray with non-stick spray to make sure it doesn’t stick.
How to Shape the Bread
Cut the dough into even pieces of 27. Take each one and roll into long pieces. Twist each side in opposite directions to create the beautiful S shape.
If you give this recipe a try please comment below and let me know how it turned out! I hope you have fun baking this wonderful Saffron bread.
St. Lucia Bread (Saffron Bread)
- 1 tsp Caster Sugar This will be used to grind together with the saffron pieces
- 1 g Saffron
- 14 g Dry Yeast
- 500 g Milk
- 180 g Caster Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 200 g Butter Room Temperature **See tips in post for butter
- 850 g All Purpose Flour
- 3 tbsp Maple Syrup For brushing
- 1 tbsp Milk For brushing
- Grind saffron with sugar
- Warm milk to 104 degrees Fahrenheit and add Saffron/Sugar mixture **Milk should turn a beautiful yellow color
- Place dry yeast in stand mixer bowl and add milk mixture
- Add butter, salt, sugar and flour. Knead dough in mixer for 10 minutes. Dough is done once it no longer sticks to finger
- Cover and let rise for 30 minutes
- Cut into 27 equal pieces
- Roll each piece into S shapes **See how to shape dough in post
- Cover dough and let rise a second time for 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 430 Fahrenheit
- Mix maple syrup and milk together
- Brush buns with maple syrup mixture and add a raisin to each end of bun
- Bake buns for 8-9 minutes
- Once buns are out of oven, brush again with maple syrup mixture and allow to cool